September 22, 2020
We have finished round one of our program review, and have made the difficult decision to cancel the following programs for the spring 2021. This decision was not easy and many factors were taken into to account, including but not limited to: border closures, status of US embassy services, program start dates, number of programs/country.
Canceled programs:Australia-University of the Sunshine Coast*
- Chile-USAC Santiago
- China-Sichuan International Studies University
- Cuba-Spanish Studies Abroad*
- Germany-Federation exchange
- Japan-USAC Nagasaki
- Netherlands-USAC the Hague
- New Zealand-USAC Massey University
- South Korea-USAC Yonsei University
- Spain-Spanish Studies Abroad (Seville and Alicante)
*Partner cancelled program as well
We now begin our next level in assessing program feasibility for spring 2021.
If your program is on the list above, you have the opportunity to switch programs to one of the following still under consideration. This does not guarantee the program will not be canceled in the future or require some adjustments to the advertised program. If you would like to change programs, please contact me as soon as possible.
Programs under consideration
- Costa Rica-International Center for Development Studies
- Egypt-American University of Cairo
- France-International Business (business program)
- France-University of Tours (language program)
- Ireland-National University of Ireland-Galway
- Italy-Lorenzo de'Medici
- UK-Liverpool Hope University
- USA-Lutheran College Washington Semester
August 6th, 2020US Department of State has rescinded the Worldwide Level 4 Travel Advisory.
June 16, 2020- Fall 2020 study away update
Today information was sent out to our fall 2020 participants regarding the cancellation of our international study abroad programs. This decision stems in part from current advisories of the U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since the middle of March, these agencies have advised Americans they should avoid non-essential travel anywhere in the world because of the coronavirus pandemic. The college respects these advisories and cancelled all Spring 2020 programs for this reason. Unfortunately, these advisories persist, and there is no way to know whether and when they will be lifted this summer. If they are lifted in coming days, that will be encouraging news about the pandemic. However, this change will not warrant re-opening programs, which points to the second consideration for the college’s decision.
Over the last month, we have created new risk mitigation norms for travel and study away that follow the principles and practices the college will use to re-open in the fall. These norms, consistent with guidelines of Minnesota Department of Health and CDC, set high standards for college life and operations. Students traveling and studying abroad deserve the same due care and diligence we are according students on our home Moorhead campus. Unfortunately, it is too early in the pandemic for the college to vet programs abroad adequately and to offer you an experience as safe as home campus.
However, we are working steadily to determine which programs we can offer for Spring 2021—if and when governmental advisories against travel worldwide are lifted. If you are interested and able, I invite you to consider an abroad experience spring semester. Or you may wish to take a short-term program in May or the summer.
May 11, 2020
The following programs have been cancelled for fall 2020 by our partners due to COVID-19
Australia-University of the Sunshine Coast
Norway-UiT The Arctic University of Norway
As we enter the final days of the 2019-20 academic year, which have been consumed with news and challenges related to the COVD-19 outbreak, we look now toward summer and next year. While much remains uncertain about the future of travel and study away (including when the Department of State Global Level 4 Health Advisory will be lifted), plans for fall 2020 semester programs continue as normal in hope that COVID-19 impacts will diminish as we move into summer.
April 30, 2020
Many of Concordia’s program partners have extended application deadlines, and some have adjusted program start dates. As information becomes available, Global Learning will contact affected students. Students who have already been accepted should continue to follow guidance from their program.
We anticipate more detailed program announcements in upcoming months. Please check back here for COVID-19-related updates. The College will use the following sources for information as we make program decisions based upon partner and governmental updates.
ResourcesCenter for Disease Control and Prevention
US Department of State
COVID-19 Global Cases (John Hopkins)
Minnesota Department of Health
OSAC interactive map Asia-Pacific
Last updated 07/28/2020