Skip to content


When it comes to off-campus study, it is never too early to start planning. Below you will find resources to help with the initial investigation into study away opportunities and where to find information. 


Academic Preparations

On the Questions to ask your Academic Advisor page you will find information about the on campus advisors who can assist you in study away planning, and questions to ask to get the conversations started.

Transfer Notebook is a resource managed by Concordia College's Registrar's Office, and is a list of courses students have taken abroad and Concordia course equivalents.

Financial Preparations

How much does study away cost? The cost of a program varies depending on the location, length, type of program, and personal spending habits. It is important for students considering off-campus study to research and understand the program cost, what's included, and what out of pocket expenses they may have.

Each Concordia program has an online brochure, which has a "Cost" section with detailed information about program costs. In the Finances section of this site you will find more information regarding this topic.

Travel Preparations


A passport is required for international travel. Study abroad participants should have a passport which will be valid for a minimum of 6 months after the program end date. If you do not have a valid passport, you will need to apply for one as soon as possible. For more information on US passports and how to apply visit the US Department of State.

Visas: Tourist or Student visa

A visa is the permission from a foreign government, which allows a non-citizen stay in that country for a period of time. Typically a visa cannot be obtained more than 90 days prior to the program start date. In most cases the recipient of the visa must submit the visa application themselves, and may require an in-person submission at a consulate or embassy. For more information regarding student visas visit the foreign country's embassy in the US website. For short-term or tourist visa information visit the US Department of State.

Technology Access & Two-Factor Authentication Preparation

Prepare for your connectivity and technology needs while off-campus or abroad. Here and here is information about how to alter two-factor authentication needs in order to be able to access relevant Concordia webpages and accounts while off-campus. Many students are unable to receive text messages or calls as a two-factor authentication method while abroad, so consider downloading the Microsoft Authenticator application as preparation to go abroad. Consider other access and login needs as well.

Vaccinations and Travel Clinics

Individuals planning to travel outside the US should research health information and required vaccinations well in advance of their travel. The Center for Disease Control is a great place to start, but it is also recommended that travelers visit the Travel Clinic to learn more about their health while abroad.


S.T.E.P. Registration

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service by the US Department of States' Bureau of Consular Affairs for US citizens and nationals traveling or living abroad to enroll their trip with the local US Consulate or Embassy. STEP Registration


Participant in semester or academic year long programs are required to arrange their own travel, while Concordia typically arranges airfare and other travel costs for Concordia Faculty-Led programs. Below are some recommendations for students who must arrange their own travel.
  • Personal travel agent
  • Independently book
    • Directly with airline
    • Kayak
    • Google Flights
Paying your Deposit