Skip to content

Safety Abroad

Sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the State Department can better assist you in an emergency. STEP registration is free and can be completed through the State Department website (link above). This will help the State Department contact you if there is a family emergency in the U.S., or if there is a crisis where you are traveling. In accordance with the Privacy Act, information on your welfare and whereabouts will not be released to others without your express authorization.

Sign passport, and fill in the emergency information: Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa, if required, and fill in the emergency information page of your passport. 

Leave copies of itinerary and passport data page: Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.

Check your overseas medical insurance coverage: Ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance. You will be provided information regarding the Concordia international traveler's insurance during pre-departure meetings.

Familiarize yourself with local conditions and laws: While in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. You can access country specific on the Department of State website (link at top of page), which has useful safety and other information about the countries you will visit.

Take precautions to avoid being a target of crime: To avoid being a target of crime, do not wear conspicuous clothing or jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money. Also, do not leave unattended luggage in public areas and do not accept packages from strangers.


Contact the U.S. State Department in an emergency: Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at Also note that the Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs may be reached for assistance with emergencies at 1-888-407-4747, if calling from the U.S. or Canada, or 202-501-4444, if calling from overseas.

Minnesota Secretary of State Study Abroad Health & Safety Resources & Incident Reporting

We are also required by Minnesota Statute 5.41 to provide you with a link to the Secretary of State website providing program health and safety information:
Additional Resources
Study Abroad Health and Safety Resources for Students and Parents
Participation Rates and Health and Safety Incident Reporting (Including Concordia College data)
International Safety Resources