Watch Explore Study Away 101
*A 15-minute pre-recorded session that provides an overview of study-away program types, finances, credit, and the advising and application process. It is a required first step on your journey off campus
We are excited for you to begin your journey!
The Global Learning team is here to guide you through the study away process.
Many students know they want to study away but are not quite sure when, where, what, or how to study off-campus.
Off-campus study is possible for every Concordia student, but it requires planning ahead. We encourage you to visit with Global Learning as early as possible.
AdvisingGlobal Learning has knowledgeable staff to advise and assist you in whatever planning stage you are currently in:
- (Peer) Advising 101 - Please make use of the Explore Checklist to get started. Advising 101 is to help guide you as you start narrowing down options to find a good fit. This is for students uncertain where to go and looking to get started on the journey.
- Advising 102 - For students who are interested in learning more about specific countries or programs.
- Advising 103 - For students with questions about one or more specific programs.
- Application Advising - For specific questions on the application or regarding visas, travel logistics, finances, credit, etc.
- Pre-Departure Advising - For students preparing for departure.
After watching the Study Away 101 video, completing the Explore Checklist, and meeting with a peer advisor, you are encouraged to schedule a meeting with the Study Away Advisor, Mark Melby, Assistant Director of Study Away. Advisor appointments are best for questions that cannot be addressed by a peer adviser, like financial questions, academic planning, specific programmatic questions, and matters of personal identity.
Your off-campus journey also begins with exploring the study away opportunities open to you. You can begin by researching different regions, countries, locations, program details and features, academic fit, prices, and much else. You should also utilize your academic advisor to understand degree requirements, choose the best time to go off-campus and make sure you are completing your graduation requirements.
Please visit the Concordia College Study Away YouTube page to see recorded information sessions on various programs.
Your study away (application) portal is designed to assist you through all stages of your study away process— exploration, application, and return (called Pre-Decision, Post-Decision, Abroad, and Returnee). Explore locations, program options, FAQs, estimated expenses, and more. Once you have selected a program, you will use the portal’s “Apply Now” button to open and complete your application. You can also find an Apply Now button near the top of program brochure pages. While away, you can report incidents, notify us of independent travel, and find resources relevant to your time abroad. When you return you will find a section with information relevant to you after study away.
Ask for Advisement
In addition to Global Learning staff, you can also speak with Faculty Leaders, global ambassadors, and faculty ambassadors.
If you want to learn more about Interim (Break) Programs or May Programs, the primary advising will be with the Faculty Leader(s). With these programs, you are able to start an application without having an advising appointment. Upon acceptance to the program, you will have group advising meetings led by the Faculty Leader(s).
Solo (Summer) Seminars are available for a variety of types of programs over the summer term including internship, study away and abroad, volunteer, teaching, and research opportunities.
Should you prefer a Semester or Academic-Year Program you are required to meet with our advising staff. This gives us an opportunity to get to know you and ensure a programmatic fit. You can start an application, but cannot submit the application until you have fulfilled the advising requirement. Appointments are required for these meetings.
Schedule an Appointment
Your application for study away is accessible at global.cord.edu. To begin an application:
1. Head to this link: Concordia College Study Away
2. Click "Go to Portal" and sign in using your Concordia credentials.
3. You can either complete or skip the "program match." It is up to you.
4. In the search bar, search for your desired programs and click "apply."
5. Select the term and "Start Application."
6. Fill out the required information and click "submit."
You can access your application anytime at https://globalcord.via-trm.com/authV2/welcome
Application decisions are sent via email approximately 2-4 weeks after the application deadline.
After acceptance, you will have more items to complete on your portal, so it is important for students to check your portal regularly.