Financial Aid FAQ's for May Programs Abroad
What type of Financial Aid is available for a May Program Abroad?
Financial Aid for a May Program Abroad (Summer School Abroad, May Seminar, Summer Field Studies Abroad) is only available in the form of “private student loans”. There are no grants, scholarships, or federal loans available for the May Programs Abroad.
What is a Private Loan?
A private loan is a loan program that is credit based and requires approval of the application through an outside lender, like a bank or agency. These loan programs will require in almost all cases a student to have a credit worthy co-signer. A co-signer is someone who is signing on the loan with you, and is also someone that would assume responsibility to pay the loan back if you, as the borrower, were not making payments. Note: Since there are no grants, scholarships, or federal loans available for the May Programs Abroad, it is very important that if you are in need of financing for a May Program Abroad that you have secured a credit-worthy co-signer.
How do I find a Private Loan?
Concordia does not endorse any one lender over another. The choice of which private loan program you may choose to borrow from is entirely up to you. To assist you in finding a private loan you can view a Listing of Private Loan Lenders available through the Concordia College Financial Aid Website. https://choice.fastproducts.org/FastChoice/Welcome.do?configId=1264105004588
You can also choose to borrow from a lender that is not on this list, and Concordia will process that loan in the same time frame as any other private loan.
How do I apply for a Private Loan?
1. Find someone that is willing and able to co-sign for you.
2. View the “List of Lenders” by going to the Concordia Financial Aid site or use the direct link listed above.
3. Choose the lender/loan program that you would like to apply for.
4. Complete the application on the lender’s website. If you are using a lender that is on the list provided by the college, there will be an “Apply Here” link next to the loan lender that will take you to their process.
5. Make sure that you follow the lenders application instructions so that you don’t miss any of the necessary steps in the application process.
6. Email the Financial Aid Office at email@example.com to let them know that you completed a private loan application for your May Program Abroad. Let them know what loan you chose, how much you applied for, and that the loan application is for your May Program.
How much can I apply for in a Private Loan?
You can apply for up to the total cost of the program. The total cost includes tuition, program, travel cost, and $900 additional for living/personal expenses (spending money) for when you are abroad. Contact Global Learning if you have questions about the cost of your program.
What if I have questions about Private Loans or my Financial Aid?
If you have questions on your specific financial aid situation or on private loans you can contact the Financial Aid Office at 218-299-3010 or firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions or to schedule an appointment to meet with someone.